Today Abigail paid tribute to Mr Dennis Anderson and his incredible work as a greyhound welfare advocate and national President of the Coalition for the Protection of Greyhounds.
I move that
(1) That this House notes with sadness the passing, on 1 December 2021, of greyhound welfare advocate and national President of the Coalition for the Protection of Greyhounds, Mr Dennis Anderson.
(2) That this House notes that:
(a) Mr Anderson joined the Coalition for the Protection of Greyhounds as Vice President in 2018 and as President in 2019, a role which he held until his passing;
(b) Mr Anderson became involved in greyhound welfare advocacy after investigating the story of his rescue greyhound Comet; and
(c) in an article Mr Anderson authored in the July-September 2019 issue of the Greyhound Life Matters magazine, he stated "I will certainly do my best as long as I can to save these wonderful dogs".
(3) That this House notes with thanks that:
(a) Mr Anderson represented the Coalition for the Protection of Greyhounds through parliamentary inquiry processes, including by authoring numerous submissions to various inquiries and appearing as a witness during hearings for the Select Committee on Animal Cruelty Laws in New South Wales; and
(b) Mr Anderson was scheduled to represent the Coalition for the Protection of Greyhounds at the 6 December 2021 hearing for the Select Committee on the Greyhound Welfare and Integrity Commission.
(4) That this House notes that prior to his retirement, Mr Anderson served in the Royal Australian Air Force for three decades, achieving the rank of Wing Commander.
(5) That this House acknowledges the efforts of Mr Dennis Anderson in greyhound advocacy and passes on its deepest condolences to Mr Anderson’s family and the many community members who advocated alongside him.