The NSW Legislative Council has established a Select Committee to inquire into the Greyhound Welfare & Integrity Commission (GWIC), and in particular its success and ability to regulate welfare in the greyhound racing industry in New South Wales.
I am pleased to have been appointed as Deputy Chair of this Inquiry, and have been working closely with animal welfare organisations like the Coalition for the Protection of Greyhounds and Animal Liberation to ensure that we get justice for the dogs in this cruel industry.
We need your help to make sure that this Inquiry has the best possible outcome – can you take action in these two easy ways?
1. Make a personal submission to the Inquiry
The greyhound racing industry has powerful lobbyists in the Government’s ears. It’s crucial that as many people as possible make submissions to the inquiry in support of the enforcement of greyhound welfare and the oversight of the industry by the Greyhound Welfare & Integrity Commission, and call for funding to be allocated by the Government and not by the industry body that GWIC is tasked with regulating.
The committee is not accepting pro-forma submissions so I haven’t provided a submission template, but I encourage you to write a short submission that addresses the terms of reference and includes any directly relevant personal experiences. You may also like to consider touching on these points:
- GWIC’s importance in enforcing welfare standards in the greyhound racing industry, and the necessity to support and empower the Commission in doing their job.
- The need to change the Commission’s funding model so that the Government and not Greyhound Racing NSW, the industry body that the Commission is tasked with regulating, is responsible for allocating funding to the Commission.
- The importance of the Commission cracking down on bad behaviour in the greyhound racing industry, including by implementing whole-of-life tracking of greyhounds, amending the greyhound rehoming policy to prohibit the euthanasia of healthy greyhounds, and ensuring the imposition of maximum penalties for administering prohibited substances.
Lodge your submission to the Inquiry here.
2. Ask others to do the same
Once you’ve made a personal submission and completed the survey, please share this blog post with your friends to ensure that as many people as possible act to protect the welfare of greyhounds in New South Wales!